Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Week 3 Reflections

What did I learn? I think I finally have a basic handle on feeds!

How will I use what I have learned? I intend to follow my students’ blogging through feeds, as well as continue to keep an eye on the feeds I’ve subscribed to.

How did I feel about this tool? Love it, love it!

What do I not want to forget about this tool? I definitely don’t want to forget I need to explore other ways to track my feeds, both through programs and the ways I display them.

How can this be used in the classroom or in my educational role? Not only can I use feeds as I described in 2, above, I could use it should I expand my blogging to directly communicate with parents or colleagues.

Should I use this in the classroom or my educational role? Most definitely in both.

What questions do I still have about this tool?
1. I still have questions about blogging with parents. Would they subscribe to the classroom blog? If I communicated with parents directly, would it be along the lines of a “class newsletter?” Who has experience in this or can point me toward a [Tweb site perhaps?] teacher who has successfully done so? I haven’t even found myself turning toward newsflash on TeacherWeb, so I am not making a connection there.

2. I notice Flakepage is listed as more of a startpage, as is Netvibes. Is there a district policy as to what startpage (am I correct in assuming this is synonymous to a homepage…?) is used on district computers?

3. When I subscribed to Natalie's blog as a follower, it displayed my avatar and information quite differently from the other followers. What have I done wrong, and what do I need to do to correct it, so I can subscribe to the others properly? :-)

3 comments:

  1. Barbara,
    Looks like you explored some of the different RSS readers. Did you setting on one you like? Yes, Startpage is like a homepage, it's a 'go to' place to let you jump off to where you like. It may be that your school has a set homepage, however you can bookmark Google Reader, or Pageflakes and be one or two clicks away to all the blogs, and sites you have choosen to follow. That's what I do at school.

    On classroom blogs, you can approach it as a newsletter, or announcements page. You can also have a question page, where maybe you ask students a question of the week, or ask parents a question even. Looks like you have found lots of blogs with inspirational classroom ideas!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,
    Way to go! It sounds like you've found a ton of great web resources and have taken the time to reflect on them. If your school has Internet Explorer 7, you can set up multiple home pages, which is what I do. http://allbarknobyte.edublogs.org/tag/internet-explorer-7/

    Enjoy the rest of your summer,
    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kind Barbara!

    Thank you for taking time to look at the stuff I have written! I really feel like a toddler, learning how to walk with this stuff! I am still not sure about how to feel comfortable with the basics, but it has been a great experience for me. You look like you are really coming along, so maybe we will be starting this together next year! I'm going to keep "playing" throughout the summer, so feel free to let me know if you have had some new discovery!

    ReplyDelete